Thursday, October 22, 2009

Breastfeeding Beyond Babyhood

Since the birth of Sophie, I've been surprised at how many people are shocked that I'm still nursing Emma. She's not quite 18 months old, and if Sophie hadn't been born, I never would have considered weaning her yet. Not unless she was ready, and she's not. I admit that on several occasions I've wished she wasn't still nursing, but for the most part I don't mind. Unless Sophie needs to be fed, and Emma's screaming (only happens in the middle of the night). Then I mind. A lot.

I've spoken with quite a few moms lately who weaned their children at about 9 months old. I don't in any way think they made the wrong decision to wean, but its not the right decision for me. Not at this time. And I wonder how many of them would have continued to nurse if our society was more accepting of women nursing their babies well into toddlerhood. So when I came across this post this morning, it was very timely. How I wish our country was more accepting, and even more proud, of women who choose to breastfeed. I guess our country first needs to be more accepting of children though. And we've got a long way to go in that area.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails