Tuesday, October 27, 2009

It started with an Onion

I'm almost at the Mother Hubbard state. You know,

Old Mother Hubbard
Went to the cupboard,
To give the poor dog a bone:
When she came there,
The cupboard was bare,
And so the poor dog had none.


Yep. My cupboards are getting pretty bare. I have food in the freezer for dinners, but breakfast and lunch fixin's are a little sparse. I did find a can of Campbell's Chicken and Rice soup. So I thought I'd make it for lunch. When I opened the can, Zach thought he saw an onion, so we had to look at the ingredient list to see if onions are in the soup. (They are by the way, and Zach is the biggest onion hater I've ever seen.) While reading the ingredients, we came across one item that will keep me from ever buying canned soup again. I mean it. No, it wasn't MSG, although that's in there. It was mechanically separated chicken. Do you know what mechanically separated chicken is? Just look it up. Personally, I prefer to know that the meat I'm eating and serving is really only meat. No spinal cords for my family thank you!

So, thank you to Zach and his war on onions. Now that I know what's in the purchased soup, I'll be cooking and freezing a bunch of homemade. In my spare time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, ew. I wish I could throw up all the canned soup I've ever eaten right now. Thanks, Zachy bear. So, know any good homemade chicken soup recipes?? =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails